Question about certain cvars

Discuss things relating to this site or the community at large here.
KennyK

Question about certain cvars

Post by KennyK »

I have been using your plugin on our servers for a while now and want to thank you for all of the work that you have put into this.

I have some people getting kicked for using some cvars and wanted to ask you a question.
xxxxxwas kicked for returning with plugin convar "eventscripts_ver" (value "2.0.0.250", return Okay).
xxxxxwas kicked for returning with plugin convar "mani_admin_plugin_version" (value "1.2T VSP", return Okay).
xxxxxwas kicked for unexpected reply with convar "metamod_version" (not expecting; result "Not found") with value "".

Now I know that some people try to spam the server with these types of commands to try to crash or lag out the server. But is there any legit reason that someone would be sending these commands to any servers?

The reason that I ask is because I have had some of my own clan members getting kicked for this. If these are the type of person that would do this to anyones server than I don't want them in my clan.

Anything that you can tell me to help me to understand would be great.
Kigen
Site Admin

Re: Question about certain cvars

Post by Kigen »

No, those kicks are relating to CVars and don't necessarily mean that the person has any bad intention.

Two of those kicks are for having server-side plugins loaded on the client (which could be used for cheating, but generally isn't) and the last one was for a unexpected CVar reply.

None of those kicks necessarily mean that those people are intending to cheat or do other evil things, but a precaution to avoid issues.
KennyK

Re: Question about certain cvars

Post by KennyK »

Thank you for your reply. I just wanted to make sure that these players are not the type to try and exploit servers, whether it is mine or others.