KAC Notifications?

Discuss things relating to this site or the community at large here.
Print

KAC Notifications?

Post by Print »

Does KAC have any sort of notification when a ban is issued or when KAC is installed/running?

I want KAC to remain completely anonymous. Some players turn off hacks when they are playing on certain servers because they know they are VAC secured, or have some sort of anti cheat - I want to still be able to catch these players.

If KAC does have notifications, is there a way I can change them?
Kigen
Site Admin

Re: KAC Notifications?

Post by Kigen »

Ya, it'll say "Player x was banned by KAC for a cheating infraction" to everyone and tell admins the stuff it puts as the reason.

Outside of altering the code, no you can't change how KAC notifies people.
Print

Post by Print »

Since you already have the integration with SourceBans, any chance sending the ban through SB instead of through KAC?

I don't want our players to know KAC is installed. I want people who think they can get away with hacking (since some hacks are not caught by VAC), to be banned without knowing why.

If everyone knows the anti-cheat program installed, they will know to turn them off, or use another account, or buy hacks that isn't caught by KAC.
Kigen
Site Admin

Post by Kigen »

Kinda pointless to try and hide KAC's existence. There are several ways they can tell KAC exists. Not least one being that KAC has a global convar kac_version.
insanity

Post by insanity »

I understand what Print is saying. For example:

On my warserver I use Pred's Match Admin plugin. I've the option to switch off the announcements so it looks like I'm typing my butt of in the console.
So is there a possibilty or will it be a feature in the future?
My best regards,

only.insanity
Team Manager

Email: insanity@skillersonly.nl
Www: www.skillersonly.nl
mIRC: #only

Play Fast, Play Skilled
sixstringartist

Post by sixstringartist »

Print, its really not that big of a deal. My server catches many many hackers using KAC and even if the existence of KAC is known and keeps some hackers away and from getting caught, isnt that still accomplishing the goal?
insanity

Post by insanity »

Lo Six,

it's true what you say, however it's better to keep KAC sort of a secret that it's installed on the server.
If we wan't to keep cheaters away, they need to learn that it is an active topic against them.

I know there is a global convar, however if you don't know it, why search for it. The cheaters banned, the better the game.
By letting them know that KAC is working you give them a window to change the cheats or dissable them, while the goal is to strike back at them.
Therefore I do understand the topic.
My best regards,

only.insanity
Team Manager

Email: insanity@skillersonly.nl
Www: www.skillersonly.nl
mIRC: #only

Play Fast, Play Skilled
Kigen
Site Admin

Post by Kigen »

First, KAC is a deterrent (i.e., keep them cheaters away) then second it is a active anti-cheat to ban them.

By letting them know that KAC is there and will ban them if they cheat on your server is a nice way to say, "hey, don't cheat here." It gives them a "second chance" at actually playing the game properly.