Banned from my own Server... Lol

Found a bug in KAC? Post it here.
SpikerNoob

Banned from my own Server... Lol

Post by SpikerNoob »

Okay... so I logged into one of the servers where I am one of the most Sr. Admins in the group. I am the one that actually installs SM and manages all the plugins and I have been a huge fan and supporter of KAC. I love it. But I logged into our Arena server and was promptly banned for hacking. Lol...

When I checked the KAC logs, it said I was banned for a Name Hack. Huh?

I tried logging into another one of our servers and I had no problems.

Any suggestions as to what would cause this?
Kigen
Site Admin

Re: Banned from my own Server... Lol

Post by Kigen »

You'd need to provide me the log line. Just remove your Steam ID and IP before you do.
SpikerNoob

Post by SpikerNoob »

L 04/04/2010 - 16:55:51: (ID: STEAM_0:0:0000000 | IP: 00.000.000.00) was banned for name hack (unconnected).

KAC Version 1.2.0.9
SM Version 1.3.2
MM Version 1.8.0V

With the latest Sockets.

TF2 Arena Server
tuck

Post by tuck »

Any word on this? I own these servers and Spike has been with me since the beginning. Actually, before in a different game. While I always assume the player is at fault, I have disabled KAC, as much as I hate to. We run several servers, and like I posted before, we are getting a ton of kicks for reasons I already posted. Now, there have been several of these bans like Spike got. Since Spike isn't going to hack on a server he helps manage and pay for (and he's in his 40's, not some kid), I now know KAC is having some issues. We've unbanned all the latest "name hacks" and disabled KAC until it's cleared up.

I realize you provide this for free (although, I think Spike has actually donated), I think we need to know what is up. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge supporter of using KAC, but I can't have my regulars kicked and banned for what appears to be no reason.
asherkin

Post by asherkin »

There appears to have been an issue introduced in a recent engine where the client is in a pre-sign-on state for a few microts longer than usual, i.e. index 0, null name. KAC is merely doing it's job and dealing as it should.
tuck

Post by tuck »

asherkin wrote:There appears to have been an issue introduced in a recent engine where the client is in a pre-sign-on state for a few microts longer than usual, i.e. index 0, null name. KAC is merely doing it's job and dealing as it should.
I bet this also has something to do w/ the ghost players. However, I have to disagree. It's not the job of any anti cheat to ban innocent players. If you're gonna be responsible for writing a program, it should work correctly. I realize Valve keeps changing crap and making it difficult, but it is not the players fault KAC hasn't adapted.
Kigen
Site Admin

Post by Kigen »

I'm inclined to agree that it is a issue that was introduced when the Source engine got updated. I'll see what I can do but its hard since I don't have a populated TF2 server to mess with to test and make sure the issue is fixed.

Anyhow, you don't need to remove KAC to stop the banning. Just set kac_client_nameprotect to 0 in your server.cfg.
tuck

Post by tuck »

Kigen wrote:I'm inclined to agree that it is a issue that was introduced when the Source engine got updated. I'll see what I can do but its hard since I don't have a populated TF2 server to mess with to test and make sure the issue is fixed.

Anyhow, you don't need to remove KAC to stop the banning. Just set kac_client_nameprotect to 0 in your server.cfg.
I'd be happy to give you access to one of our servers. They usually are packed by late afternoon. One is now. Let me know if you want. My Steam name is [HK]Tuck, or PM me here or at www.hkcentral.net.