Disable KAC global bans?

Make suggestions about futures features here.
Harry

Disable KAC global bans?

Post by Harry »

Hello, first off I would like to say thanks for a nice plugin.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=152 - said back in 2009 that there is no var to disable the global bans. Is this information still correct?

I refuse to use KAC and I suggest the same to most public server owners only due to this fact. Why? I feel that if a user gets banned at one server for something, they should not be automatically banned at mine *UNLESS* they get auto-detected with the cheat again on MY server.

I trust you list admins and the work you do, but I feel it's nonsense for users to be banned from my server when they did nothing wrong on mine.
How do I know that a list admin didn't add a user's ban to the global KAC list of a legit player, just because they dislike them?
How do I know someone didn't add some non-cheating SteamIDs to the global KAC list, just to cause problems for other people?

Hence, I suggest you PLEASE add a server var to disable Global KAC bans. If a user commits a crime on my server, so ban them from all my own servers. Some people enjoy global bans from servers they do not run, and that's their own opinion; it should not be forced upon everyone.

Thank you for your time.
asherkin

Re: Disable KAC global bans?

Post by asherkin »

Harry wrote:I feel that if a user gets banned at one server for something, they should not be automatically banned at mine *UNLESS* they get auto-detected with the cheat again on MY server.
This is a good point, all versions of KAC have the same detection code (reportedly) so if they cheat and get banned one server they are gonna get banned on your server if they cheat.
Harry wrote:How do I know that a list admin didn't add a user's ban to the global KAC list of a legit player, just because they dislike them?
How do I know someone didn't add some non-cheating SteamIDs to the global KAC list, just to cause problems for other people?
This is just stupid and detracts from your other good points, it's obvious you are clutching at straws here, you have already made a good case, just stop there.
Harry wrote:Hence, I suggest you PLEASE add a server var to disable Global KAC bans. If a user commits a crime on my server, so ban them from all my own servers. Some people enjoy global bans from servers they do not run, and that's their own opinion; it should not be forced upon everyone.
+1

Or at least give us the steam id exemption command back.
Harry

Post by Harry »

asherkin wrote: This is a good point, all versions of KAC have the same detection code (reportedly) so if they cheat and get banned one server they are gonna get banned on your server if they cheat.
Yeah, but *everyone* normal has had at one point an urge to try something, or greif on another server or trying out LUA. I think server admins should have a choice:
1) Ban all people detected with hacks.
2) Ban all people who have hacks enabled whilst on your server.
Obviously "SERIOUS GAMING CLANS" would prefer number 1. My servers are less serious, and we do have a lot of trolls (loveable trolls) who have probably been KAC banned for LUA. They aren't using LUA on my server? Then I do not mind if they play on it. It's always nice to have options in any sort of plugin or mod, so the server admin can decide what they want to chose.
asherkin wrote: This is just stupid and detracts from your other good points, it's obvious you are clutching at straws here, you have already made a good case, just stop there.
I am not clutching at straws. I am a security analyst and these problems are highly possible if someone cared enough.
Kigen
Site Admin

Post by Kigen »

I'm the only one who controls the global banlist.

While you are correct that I can manually add bans. I only add bans when there is either conclusive proof of cheating that I collected myself (i.e., cheating in front of me on a server) or this person has been found to be a extreme risk to the community of crashing/exploiting multiple servers (i.e., crash threat to everyone [command violations don't count]).

I dislike a lot of people, but I don't add them to the global banlist just cause of dislike. Adding people I dislike to the global banlist would negate the point of this project. Which is to stop cheaters and major server crashers/exploiters. This idea and spirit behind this project is to make everyone's server a better place by providing a cleaner environment for all. Also, people as a person aren't banned. Just Steam accounts get banned. I'm not here to perma-ban people for life from games, I just wish and strive to get people to stop cheating and play legitimately.

While it is fine that you wish for people that are only caught on your server cheating to get banned the system that I have implemented for the global banlist has already existed in the form of VAC.

Also, the global banlist isn't forced. You can simply not use KAC. I'm not forcing anyone to do anything.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Hi, I do trust you to not add bans of people you are not sure of, but the problem arrises with "tin-foil hatters" like me :)
Kigen wrote:While it is fine that you wish for people that are only caught on your server cheating to get banned the system that I have implemented for the global banlist has already existed in the form of VAC.

Also, the global banlist isn't forced. You can simply not use KAC. I'm not forcing anyone to do anything.
Yeah, but if I want to use KAC for it's nice anti- cheat, crash, etc tools, then I wish it was possible to have the global option disabled. Is it impossible to do this? KAC is an amazing tool and it works well (I *want* people using LUA banned, but *only* if they run it on my own server, not because of running it on other people's!), I just want a few of my users to be unbanned on my servers, which were caused by them previously using LUA (which they do not anymore; if they try to use it again, I have no problem with KAC banning them).

So... kac_disableglobal option, maybe? :o
coach

Post by coach »

Leave it as it is. I agree with kigen on this one.

A cheat is a cheat. If someone has cheated on one server there is nothing stopping them doing it again elsewhere.

It is server operators choice to use this plugin. Make the choice that suits your community or values.

I am probably less affected by the global banlist though as my servers are not in the region of the servers that are used for the banlist.

Let the cheaters buy a new account & start again imo.
Harry

Post by Harry »

coach wrote:Leave it as it is.
[..]
It is server operators choice to use this plugin. Make the choice that suits your community or values.
[..]
You say to enjoy choice, yet you do not encourage the addition of MORE CHOICE for server operators. My community believes that people can change. They used LUA in the past, and do not use it anymore. I do not feel they should be punished if they do not attempt to use it on my own server, but I still want them banned IF they DO use it on my server. KAC is an amazing plugin, and I agree with everything it does except for this option which I'd love a way to be possible to do.
nightrider
Community Moderator

Post by nightrider »

Server operators have the choice to use or not use KAC.
As clients on public and private servers have the choice to use or not use cheats.

The implementation of KAC and it's functionality are at the discretion of the developer.
Kigan is the only one to my knowledge that has direct access to the global ban list.
This in turn keeps things rather simple and secure.
THC

Post by THC »

Kigen wrote:Also, the global banlist isn't forced. You can simply not use KAC.
If the global banlist isn't forced then why do we have to use it.
You say "just dont use KAC" that means we HAVE to use the global banlist which would mean it is forced.
You kinda failed bro.

You could easily double or triple KAC's usage by letting people disable the global banlist.
I know several of my friends who are attempting to recode KAC to disable the global list and just use a personal banlist because of how idiotic it is.
Kigen wrote:I'm the only one who controls the global banlist.
This is also false.
I got added to the global list by a non-VAC counterstrike server that I very highly doubt you were in.

Harry wrote:I do not feel they should be punished if they do not attempt to use it on my own server
^ This x1000 over.
Kigen
Site Admin

Post by Kigen »

I have in the past given out a non-Sockets version of KAC (1.1 branch). As I found out with that most server operators do not care about the global banlist. Many people installed the non-Sockets version just because they didn't want to install Sockets.

I really don't care about how many servers use KAC. This isn't a popularity project. Its a project to stop and deter cheating. The best way to deter cheating is to have a punishment that is befitting cheating. VAC is a prime example of this. 99% of Source servers use VAC. What VAC does is globally ban anyone found cheating by their system from all VAC secured servers. I have simply adopted this.

You are not forced to use KAC. So thus in reference you are not forced to use the global banlist. There are other projects out there as well and I am not here to please everyone (as that is impossible).

Also, it would be nice if you didn't post accusations. Most likely you were banned out of a trusted server (and you see a normal ban message on that one) then when you went somewhere else you got the "globally banned" message.