Kigen Please Read This(Regarding Global Ban List)

Discuss things relating to this site or the community at large here.
Batman

Kigen Please Read This(Regarding Global Ban List)

Post by Batman »

Kigen,

As a happy KAC user for two years, I have only one complaint to submit to you. KAC does not have an option to disable the global ban list as a whole. I understand your reasoning for removing kac_allow, server admins should not be have the opportunity to profit off of KAC or the discomfort of being nagged constantly to be put on the whitelist. However adding an option to disable the global ban list as a whole will be both blind and indiscriminate of who it unbans.

I know the KAC global ban list is full hackers, cheaters, and exploiters, but most of them are 14 year olds who either downloaded the hack they found off the internet, or LSS users who at worst have a bunnyhop that KAC does not detect(KAC bans instantly for wireframe wallhacks, crashing the server or messing with smoke particles). Most of the people on the global banlist are not full time cheaters, case in point, they will either get themselves VAC banned or they won't do it again. My point being that as server owners, even though we have installed KAC, we should have the option of either allowing no one in our servers from the banlist, or everyone in.

I know that once we install KAC, we must abide by your judgement. Quite frankly I believe that KAC is a must have for servers, but it would be better if we were not forced into the global ban list if we install KAC. You provide the initial beta of KAC 1.2 open source to the general public and if I want I can disable the banlist there. However I will also have to break the auto-update and not recieve any updates to you, and I would like to keep my KAC up to date.

May you please either add an option to disable the global ban list as a whole(keep it on as default) or provide updated builds of the source so I can remove the global banlist kick myself without my KAC being out of date.

I fully understand and appreciate the fact that KAC is by no means a give and take relationship, once we install the plugin we either have a choice of abiding by your rules and options or uninstalling the plugin. I however would like to respectfully ask for a way to disable the global ban list from KAC. I believe almost all the KAC community would still keep it on but clans such as ours who are either forgiving or stupid(you decide which), would really appreciate an option to delete the banlist.

wDgaming is a respectful clan which maintains its integrity by holding itself to a transparent and fair process. We are by no means making this request in bad faith. You can take a look at our forums, and look over the ban appeals, admin abuse reports, etc. We hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards, and value you it as much as you do.

Sincerely,

Representative from the wD clan
Kigen
Site Admin

Re: Kigen Please Read This(Regarding Global Ban List)

Post by Kigen »

Sorry, but people disabling the global banlist negates the purpose of why it exists. The global banlist exists so that people may learn from their mistakes. The only thing is that they just have to get a new Steam account in order to do so. This is so that there is an effect on them. Its pretty easy for someone to try and come up with a convincing story over the internet that there account was hacked, their dog did it, or that they've learned from past mistakes. However, having the fee from having to purchase their games again adds a limit. As people's money is not infinite unlike their ability to come up with stories.
lambda

Post by lambda »

Kigen wrote:Sorry, but people disabling the global banlist negates the purpose of why it exists. The global banlist exists so that people may learn from their mistakes. The only thing is that they just have to get a new Steam account in order to do so. This is so that there is an effect on them. Its pretty easy for someone to try and come up with a convincing story over the internet that there account was hacked, their dog did it, or that they've learned from past mistakes. However, having the fee from having to purchase their games again adds a limit. As people's money is not infinite unlike their ability to come up with stories.
Kigen thats kind of mean, you should add the ability for the KAC servers to have bans degrade over time or to allow players to redeem themselves, if someone bought the game, they did not just buy it to cheat, they bought it to have fun, and what about those people who can't afford the new copys of the games because of the economy? I mean, at least have the servers have an option to ignore bans older than a certan amount of time. After all nobody is perfect, the only way people learn is through making mistakes and using second chances to make a change for the better. :)
coach

Post by coach »

Cheaters are cheaters no matter which way you look at it.

I have seen communities take this approach of giving them a second chance only for them to once again cheat.

They know it is not the right thing to do when they cheat but still do.

A hard lesson for them but justified in my eyes.
nightrider
Community Moderator

Post by nightrider »

lambda wrote: Kigen thats kind of mean,
you should add the ability for the KAC servers to have bans degrade over time
or to allow players to redeem themselves
Why they cheated.
lambda wrote:if someone bought the game, they did not just buy it to cheat,
they bought it to have fun
So you value the loss of fun for a cheater and somehow this negates the fun of people that do not cheat.
Screw them they cheated and got caught.

lambda wrote:and what about those people who can't afford the new copys of the games because of the economy?
It's called cause and effect.
They cheated, they got caught, they pay the price for there actions.
Rather simple principle.

lambda wrote:I mean, at least have the servers have an option to ignore bans older than a certan amount of time.
not needed as they can always purchase a new Steam account and learn by there mistake.
lambda wrote:After all nobody is perfect,
the only way people learn is through making mistakes and using second chances to make a change for the better. :)
So untrue in this day and age.
People learn by cause and effect.

They get banned and feel the pain and loss of loosing the privilege of playing on privately run servers.