kac_allow in v1.2

Discuss things relating to this site or the community at large here.
disposable

kac_allow in v1.2

Post by disposable »

kac_allow doesn't seem to work in 1.2 is there another way to allow players that are on the global list?
Kigen
Site Admin

Re: kac_allow in v1.2

Post by Kigen »

There is not such a feature.

It was decided not to add the feature because of the issues that surround it for the community at large. (i.e., People begging to individual server owners to be kac_allow'd which negates the point of the global banlist system)
Fullsteel

Post by Fullsteel »

Kigen wrote:There is not such a feature.

It was decided not to add the feature because of the issues that surround it for the community at large. (i.e., People begging to individual server owners to be kac_allow'd which negates the point of the global banlist system)
Wait, WHAT?
Okay, I'm KAC banned for cheating, but I want to be able to play on my own server without cheats.
And, who the hell begs server owners to be kac_allowed, if they really know the guy why can't they let him in?
Is there a way to edit the source and actually allow a certain person ourselves?
nightrider
Community Moderator

Post by nightrider »

Fullsteel wrote:Wait, WHAT?
Okay, I'm KAC banned for cheating, but I want to be able to play on my own server without cheats.
Installing KAC on your own server is your choice.
Fullsteel wrote:And, who the hell begs server owners to be kac_allowed, if they really know the guy why can't they let him in?
Not all server operators have the same moral values.
Some could allow unbanning for monetary gain.

Fullsteel wrote:Is there a way to edit the source and actually allow a certain person ourselves?
Unsure.
SD:css^Mechanic

Post by SD:css^Mechanic »

This is my first post, so firstly thanks for all the work that has gone into and keeps going into KAC. My question is this, As we have not banned the players originally does this mean that when they join my servers with there hax removed for example they will be banned by KAC and will this show up in sourcebans with the reason that they were banned originally?
nightrider
Community Moderator

Post by nightrider »

They are just blocked from entering the server.
Sourcebans will show on the Dashboard page "Latest Players Blocked"
These are the players that are banned by admins & KAC.

Example here is my Sourcebans page

http://173.208.45.229/bans/index.php
SD:css^Mechanic

Post by SD:css^Mechanic »

So they are not allowed to join and server admins will not know why they are banned from server? They will not know that they are banned by KAC?
TBH I think is a very bad way to do things as it is going to cause lots of problems for server owners. I am very uncomfortable with the idea that players are banned and I will not know the reason for the ban, I have had players banned for "attempting to spam crash server" which i have overturned.
I have seen your sourceban page, but as this does not show the reason why players have been blocked by the KAC global ban list then this is irrelevant.
Is there any way to change this to show why they are banned?
If not will there be a version with no sockets and as such no access to the global ban list?
Kigen
Site Admin

Post by Kigen »

People only end up on the global banlist if they pose a significant risk to the community at large. Mainly this is cheaters and people who would compromise your server.
nightrider
Community Moderator

Post by nightrider »

SD:css^Mechanic wrote:So they are not allowed to join
Correct globally KAC banned players are not allowed to join.
SD:css^Mechanic wrote:and server admins will not know why they are banned from server?
If a player is KAC banned previously yes this is true that server admins will not know why they are banned.
The reason is to restrict information from cheaters & those that would compromise servers.

Only cheaters or server attackers legitimately end up on the global ban list.
Only trusted servers add to the global ban list.
Trusted servers are under the direct control by Kigen and no others.

SD:css^Mechanic wrote:They will not know that they are banned by KAC?
For previously globally banned players this statement is true.
KAC informs all banned players with an in game message that they are banned, but no reason is posted.

For new players that are banned by KAC in your own server you and your admins have a bit more information.
KAC has a log file that you may access.
If you use Sourcebans as your ban system KAC communicates to the Sourceban page the reason for the new ban.

SD:css^Mechanic wrote:TBH I think is a very bad way to do things as it is going to cause lots of problems for server owners.
Keeping the upper hand on cheaters & those that would cause servers harm is difficult at best.
Giving hackers resources to avert KAC and it's systems of detection is counter intuitive.

SD:css^Mechanic wrote:I am very uncomfortable with the idea that players are banned and I will not know the reason for the ban, I have had players banned for "attempting to spam crash server" which i have overturned.
This is inadvisable but ultimately your choice to do so as this is a ban local to your own server.
KAC legitimately detects players and bans them for exploits.

SD:css^Mechanic wrote:I have seen your sourceban page, but as this does not show the reason why players have been blocked by the KAC global ban list then this is irrelevant.
If you are referring to my Sourceban page here
http://173.208.45.229/bans/index.php
Please be aware like yourself I am a client and this Sourceban page is not a trusted server.

SD:css^Mechanic wrote:Is there any way to change this to show why they are banned?
Only your own research may lend you clues as to why a player is blocked.
Rest assured that only players that are globally KAC banned or banned by your admins are blocked from your server.
Kigen goes to great lengths to insure the integrity of the global ban list.
Even I as a moderator do not have access to such information.

In the event that a player is banned by KAC on your own server.
KAC provides comprehensive information to Sourcebans.
Click on any ban in Sourcebans and you will see information listed.

Here is an example of a local KAC ban on one of my servers.
Click the player name to expand to show the details of the ban.
http://173.208.45.229/bans/index.php?p= ... 0+&Submit=

SD:css^Mechanic wrote:If not will there be a version with no sockets and as such no access to the global ban list?
A no sockets version of KAC is not supported nor intended.
Kigen does not have the resources or interest in supporting parallel versions of this system.
Only a sockets version is provided and developed.
mechanic^

Post by mechanic^ »

Repost
Last edited by mechanic^ on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.